Ethereum [ETH], the second largest cryptocurrency by market cap and leading smart contract platform, rose to claim the throne of the biggest gainer earlier today. Additionally, most of the coins in the market seem to have gained their momentum from the second largest cryptocurrency in the market.
According to CoinMarketCap, at press time, ETH was trading at $139.24 with a market cap of $14.6 billion. The coin showed a trading volume of $4.84 billion and recorded a rise of over 14% in the past seven days.
More so, ETH is also making strides in terms of development. The project is currently focused on its upcoming upgrade, Constantinople, which is also one of the most awaited hard forks of the year. This hard fork is the second phase of Metropolis – The upcoming phase, the third stage of Ethereum. The first two stages of Ethereum were Frontier and Homestead, and the next stage after Metropolis is Serenity, the stage that introduces Proof-of-Stake [Beacon and Casper] and Plasma on Ethereum.
Constantinople hard fork was initially set to take place towards the end of 2018. However, due to issues that were discovered in the Rinkeby Testnet, the hard fork was pushed ahead to take place in the month of January 2019. The block that was supposed to upgrade the entire network was #7080000, but this was cancelled on the eve of the scheduled date.
This time, one of the bug bounty teams of Ethereum, ChainSecurity discovered that one of the Ethereum Improvement Protocols’ [EIP] would make some smart contracts vulnerable to Reentrancy attacks after the hard fork occurs, resulting in the key stakeholders of Ethereum deciding that the best solution would be to delay the fork again.
In order to solve this problem, Ethereum developers came to a consensus that there would be two forks that would be taking place on the same block, Constantinople and Petersburg. The first fork would implement all the five Ethereum Improvement Protocols and the second fork would disable the protocol that enables Reentrancy attacks or allows them to downgrade.
According to the recent announcement, the hard fork is estimated to take place on 28 February, 2019, ten days from now. The fork will occur on block #7,280,000 around 6:07:41 PM UTC. The data presented by Amerdata shows that at press time, there are around 43,950 blocks remaining before the fork takes place.
Subscribe to AMBCrypto’s Newsletter
Tether’s [USDT] market capitalization hits all-time high, Facebook in talks with Winklevoss twins, trading firms over new cryptocurrency and more
Crypto News – 25 May – Tether’s [USDT] market capitalization hits all-time high, Facebook in talks with Winklevoss twins, trading firms over new cryptocurrency and more
— AMBCrypto (@CryptoAmb) 25 May 2019
Daily Crypto News – May 25
1) Bitcoin Wallet receives part of 5,000 BTC: A recent Whale Alert highlighted a transaction on May 24, where a large sum of Bitcoin [BTC] exchanged hands between two anonymous wallets. According to the alert the transaction took place at 22:13:23 + 1 minutes and 5,000.00001092 BTC was transferred from an unknown wallet, with address 19SiCYaYKZh9A8HUjuh14eg5wtYzKxiFbB, to another unknown wallet with address 14GcjGjxwadzcpmq9EG3KUgTKATjurbnWt.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2VRQwb0
2) Bitwise Report 2.0: Bitcoin [BTC] futures continues growth: On a month-on-month basis, Bitcoin Futures saw a massive bump in April trading at an average of 10,000 contracts daily, peaking on April 4, with over 22,000 contracts traded. To put that number in perspective, in March 2019, the average contracts traded was less than 4,000. Despite the high standards set in April, the average daily contracts traded in May, with 25 days gone has exceeded 14,000 and still looks to grow, given the price performance of Bitcoin.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2W40sTR
3) Craig Wright on private keys: Craig S Wright has, for years, claimed he is the true creator of Bitcoin [BTC] without providing a shred of evidence to support the same. With the crypto-community levelling, Wright could prove his worth by sending BTC from Satoshi Nakamoto’s touted wallet containing around 980,000 BTCs, the BSV man in a twisted cause and effect situation, stated he will “sign” into his wallet only when he proves he is the creator.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2X6fdlw
4) Tether’s [USDT] market cap hits ATH: Tether and Bitfinex are being closely scrutinized now more than ever due to the NYAG’s lawsuit; however, the scrutiny doesn’t seem to have affected Tether as the market cap of USDT has increased by over $100 million in approximately 70 days.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2McaTjE
5) Tether volume shift: Another controversial topic in the cryptocurrency industry was the issue of fake transaction volumes on many of the popular cryptocurrency exchanges. The magnitude of the topic was so large that even Changpeng Zhao, the Chief Executive Officer [CEO] of Binance had raised red flags. This topic and Tether as a whole received another twist when Larry Cermack, the Director of Research at The Block, pointed out a few parameters when it came to the said volume.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2wmk4mJ
6) Bitfinex’s LEO tokens listed on Delta Exchange: Bitfinex’s Leo tokens faced quite a lot of criticism when they were announced, due to the missing $850 million funds from Bitfinex. The private investment round by Bitfinex also faced a lot of heat from the media. However, in a recent development, Leo tokens are being listed on various exchanges for trading.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2HUEnNB
7) Robinhood en-route a projected valuation of $7 billion: Robinhood, the California-based cryptocurrency exchange made headlines recently when a source close to the organization revealed that it was on the verge of closing their latest round of funding at a valuation of a whopping $7 billion – $8 billion. Sources even claimed that the current round of funding could act as a precursor to an even bigger round of funding, which would pit Robinhood with the bigwigs like Coinbase and Binance.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2W64KKj
Subscribe to AMBCrypto’s Newsletter
Bitcoin [BTC]: Debating on king coin’s transaction speed is a red herring argument, says Charlie Shrem
Bitcoin price prediction: BTC prices primed for small correction that could evolve into a major correction
Tron [TRX] surges 7.50% in an hour after Justin Sun hints at ‘huge and amazing’ announcement in TRX, BTT ecosystem
Bitcoin [BTC]: Fidelity has a ‘room full of ASIC miners’ at its Texas office, claims Justin Moon
Bitcoin nirvana is happening right now, says Max Keiser
Tron [TRX] announces future trading on OKEx platform from May 20
Bitcoin’s [BTC] Lightning Network is awesome, says Blockstream’s Samson Mow
Crypto is replacing the US Dollar and no one seems to be noticing, claims prominent investor Robert Kiyosaki
Bitcoin Cash’s [BCH] Roger Ver adds Coinbase and Binance to his ‘safe list’
Bittrex transfers 6,999,999 XRP to Upbit amid Ripple’s alleged report discrepancies
Bitcoin [BTC] is still going to $100,000, claims Heisenberg Capital’s Max Keiser
Satoshi Nakamoto is easy to get through; can be found by fools, claims John McAfee
XRP: Google Chrome extension to detect trustworthiness of select XRP addresses goes live
Ripple: SCB Thailand asks crypto-enthusiasts to wait for announcement regarding XRP adoption