NEM in their tweet exhibits how local farmers can integrate the basic IoT solution into their business using Arduino, on the NEM blockchain. This project aims at allowing farms and supermarkets to prevent incidents of food poisoning, as it is possible to track the shipment to a certain animal or plot of land.
According to Bader, a blogger on NEM’s forum starts with including the required materials for the IoT project.
- 1x SparkFun ESP8266 thing: It is a breakout and development board for a leading IoT platform called ESP8266 WiFi SoC.
- 1x DHT11 temperature & humidity sensor: It is a digital temperature and humidity sensor which is basic and comes at a low cost. It measures the surrounding air by using a thermistor and a capacitive humidity sensor.
- 1x Lithium-Ion battery: Also kn0wn as Li-Ion battery or LIB, is a rechargeable battery wherein Lithium ions move from the positive electrode to the negative one while charging, and vice versa during discharge.
- 1x RTC Module: Also known as Real Time Clock, it is a computer clock that keeps tabs on time. The most commonly used RTC is DS1307.
In an example, it is explained that with the above equipment one can:
- detect the temperature of a meat supply from the time it is sent to the farm to the time it sits in the local market shops
- which farm produced the supply
- the farmer involved
- the animal meat supplied
This is useful in most of the situations as once supplied, it is hard to detect the ‘where it went wrong’ factor in cases of a bacteria outbreak or spoilt supply. One can also prevent the growth of bacteria on the meat as this technology ensures the detection of a temperature rise.
Arduino’s role in all this will be to log the temperature of a bulk supply of meat periodically, at various time intervals. For instance, the delivery truck is using an internet with the help of ‘SparkFun Thing’.
As of now, every 2 seconds, the temperature of the meat supply is being logged, averaging the temperature of every 10 minutes to send a transaction on the NEM blockchain. On the blockchain, a transaction will contain a technical, coded message which will contain and record the respective transaction ID and its average temperature of that supply.
This process will run every 10 minutes and give the recorded data for an improved shipment process, with all the necessary details to embed efficient IoT solutions to it.
IOTA [MIOTA] Trinity Wallet 0.4.0 “fancy updates”, Redditors say
EOS “should be doing 50,000 transactions per second in a few months”, says Novogratz
Is the XRP Ledger more decentralized than Bitcoin [BTC]?
Will Bitcoin [BTC]’s big break be during the imminent financial meltdown?
Truth data cloud gives users control of their private digital data with GDPR compliant platform
Cryptocurrencies are the ‘future of money’: The United States Congress
Cardano [ADA]’s Charles Hoskinson says “tremendous progress” on Cardano’s scalability
First Bitcoin [BTC] two-way ATM installed, Malta’s digital transformation on the go
Tron heats up TRX, Coinburn of 100 billion tokens completed
‘Expert’ states XRP [XRP] is a security, Ripple adopted a “wrong regulatory approach”
“I would love to see Cardano as the first trillion dollar cryptocurrency”, says Charles Hoskinson
XRP [XRP] to be added by Wirex, speculations of SBI partnership come into play
Bitcoin [BTC] based ETF application could be the first SEC approved file
Tron [TRX] introduces its new Chrome extension, ‘TronLink’