The long-standing debate about the backing of Tether’s USDT tokens has emerged again, after the company made alterations to its terms of service. It now states that the reserves backing USDT comprise of “traditional currency and cash equivalents and … other assets and receivables from loans made by Tether to third parties,” reported Bitcoin news.
Even though Tether dominates the stablecoin market in terms of market share and market capitalization, it is facing increasing competition from newer stablecoin projects. These newer coins have been able to provide evidence of U.S. dollar backing since their launch, reported the publication.
Tether reversed the previous assertion that all the USDT tokens were backed one-to-one with USD reserves, as a part of its terms of service update. The home of the dominating stablecoin now reads,
“Every tether is always 100% backed by our reserves, which include traditional currency and cash equivalents and, from time to time, may include other assets and receivables from loans made by Tether to third parties, which may include affiliated entities.”
The legal page of the company also noted that the composition of the reserves to back the Tether Tokens was within the sole control and discretion of Tether. It further added,
“Tether reserves the right to delay the redemption or withdrawal of Tether Tokens if such delay is necessitated by the illiquidity or unavailability or loss of any Reserves held by Tether to back the Tether Tokens, and Tether reserves the right to redeem Tether Tokens by in-kind redemptions of securities and other assets held in the Reserves.”
On one hand, Tether reversed its claim of backing all outstanding USDT by USD. On the other hand, competing stablecoins have provided regular attestation reports, confirming fiat backing.
Trueusd [TUSD] provided between one and three attestation reports each month, since its launch in March 2018. According to its recent report, the company’s 201,727,658 outstanding TUSD tokens were then backed by $202,621,765 dollars, held in Trueusd’s bank accounts.
According to data provided by Bitcoin news, Circle published its fourth monthly attestation report concerning USD reserve for its USDC token. The report stated that as of January 31, 2019, the outstanding 307,7903,924 USDC tokens were backed by $307,848,312 held in custody accounts.
Paxos, after launching in September 2018, also provided monthly attestation reports. Its recent report, dated 29 February 2019, asserted that 109,543,189.7 PAX tokens were backed by a USD reserve “at least equal to or greater than “$109,543,189.70.”
Subscribe to AMBCrypto’s Newsletter
Tether’s [USDT] market capitalization hits all-time high, Facebook in talks with Winklevoss twins, trading firms over new cryptocurrency and more
Crypto News – 25 May – Tether’s [USDT] market capitalization hits all-time high, Facebook in talks with Winklevoss twins, trading firms over new cryptocurrency and more
— AMBCrypto (@CryptoAmb) 25 May 2019
Daily Crypto News – May 25
1) Bitcoin Wallet receives part of 5,000 BTC: A recent Whale Alert highlighted a transaction on May 24, where a large sum of Bitcoin [BTC] exchanged hands between two anonymous wallets. According to the alert the transaction took place at 22:13:23 + 1 minutes and 5,000.00001092 BTC was transferred from an unknown wallet, with address 19SiCYaYKZh9A8HUjuh14eg5wtYzKxiFbB, to another unknown wallet with address 14GcjGjxwadzcpmq9EG3KUgTKATjurbnWt.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2VRQwb0
2) Bitwise Report 2.0: Bitcoin [BTC] futures continues growth: On a month-on-month basis, Bitcoin Futures saw a massive bump in April trading at an average of 10,000 contracts daily, peaking on April 4, with over 22,000 contracts traded. To put that number in perspective, in March 2019, the average contracts traded was less than 4,000. Despite the high standards set in April, the average daily contracts traded in May, with 25 days gone has exceeded 14,000 and still looks to grow, given the price performance of Bitcoin.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2W40sTR
3) Craig Wright on private keys: Craig S Wright has, for years, claimed he is the true creator of Bitcoin [BTC] without providing a shred of evidence to support the same. With the crypto-community levelling, Wright could prove his worth by sending BTC from Satoshi Nakamoto’s touted wallet containing around 980,000 BTCs, the BSV man in a twisted cause and effect situation, stated he will “sign” into his wallet only when he proves he is the creator.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2X6fdlw
4) Tether’s [USDT] market cap hits ATH: Tether and Bitfinex are being closely scrutinized now more than ever due to the NYAG’s lawsuit; however, the scrutiny doesn’t seem to have affected Tether as the market cap of USDT has increased by over $100 million in approximately 70 days.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2McaTjE
5) Tether volume shift: Another controversial topic in the cryptocurrency industry was the issue of fake transaction volumes on many of the popular cryptocurrency exchanges. The magnitude of the topic was so large that even Changpeng Zhao, the Chief Executive Officer [CEO] of Binance had raised red flags. This topic and Tether as a whole received another twist when Larry Cermack, the Director of Research at The Block, pointed out a few parameters when it came to the said volume.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2wmk4mJ
6) Bitfinex’s LEO tokens listed on Delta Exchange: Bitfinex’s Leo tokens faced quite a lot of criticism when they were announced, due to the missing $850 million funds from Bitfinex. The private investment round by Bitfinex also faced a lot of heat from the media. However, in a recent development, Leo tokens are being listed on various exchanges for trading.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2HUEnNB
7) Robinhood en-route a projected valuation of $7 billion: Robinhood, the California-based cryptocurrency exchange made headlines recently when a source close to the organization revealed that it was on the verge of closing their latest round of funding at a valuation of a whopping $7 billion – $8 billion. Sources even claimed that the current round of funding could act as a precursor to an even bigger round of funding, which would pit Robinhood with the bigwigs like Coinbase and Binance.
Read more at https://bit.ly/2W64KKj
Subscribe to AMBCrypto’s Newsletter
Bitcoin [BTC]: General manager of BIS says Bitcoin and blockchain technology should be explored to its limits
Bitcoin [BTC]: Mati Greenspan claims ‘$200 move can easily lead to a $2,000 move’
Bitcoin [BTC] and Litecoin [LTC] Price Analysis: BTC and LTC bulls defend position
Dubai-based exchange BitOasis allegedly delists Monero [XMR], ZCash [ZEC] without informing users
Kraken’s Austin Alexander says cryptocurrency space is ‘moving fast’, making it difficult for staffing
Tron [TRX] announces future trading on OKEx platform from May 20
Bitcoin’s [BTC] Lightning Network is awesome, says Blockstream’s Samson Mow
Crypto is replacing the US Dollar and no one seems to be noticing, claims prominent investor Robert Kiyosaki
Bitcoin Cash’s [BCH] Roger Ver adds Coinbase and Binance to his ‘safe list’
Bittrex transfers 6,999,999 XRP to Upbit amid Ripple’s alleged report discrepancies
XRP: Massive amounts of cryptocurrency moved as Ripple, Nexo come into the picture
Bitcoin [BTC] is still going to $100,000, claims Heisenberg Capital’s Max Keiser
Satoshi Nakamoto is easy to get through; can be found by fools, claims John McAfee
XRP: Google Chrome extension to detect trustworthiness of select XRP addresses goes live