How to Get GitHub Copilot Free for Students?
The world right now is highly technology driven and coding skills have become a must to thrive in the job market. As a student, learning these skills can be challenging, especially when faced with complex projects and repetitive tasks. Enter GitHub Copilot, an innovative artificial intelligence (AI)-powered pair programmer that helps you code faster and more efficiently. If you are wondering how to get Github Copilot for free, this is the right place for you!
Collection of top AI tools to use for different tasks.
This article serves as a comprehensive guide on how to get GitHub Copilot for free as a student. We’ll cover everything you need to know, from setting up your GitHub account to installing the Copilot extension on various code editors.
Before we dive in, you might want to check out some of the coolest AI tools here.
Introduction to GitHub Copilot
GitHub Copilot is an AI pair programmer developed by OpenAI in collaboration with GitHub. It uses machine learning models to suggest code in your editor, speeding up the coding process and making it more efficient.
With GitHub Copilot, you can generate code snippets using natural language prompts, suggest multi-line functions, and even write test code. It’s an invaluable tool for students looking to improve their coding skills and save time on their projects.
Are you wondering whether Github Copilot is really worth it? Check it out in our blog.
Benefits of GitHub Copilot for students
There are numerous benefits to using GitHub Copilot as a student. Some of these include:
- Faster coding: GitHub Copilot suggests code in real-time, allowing you to focus on the logic behind your code rather than spending time on repetitive tasks.
- AI-generated code: The AI-powered suggestions can generate code snippets based on natural language prompts, making it easier to implement complex functions and algorithms.
- Learning tool: As you code, GitHub Copilot can provide instant feedback and suggestions, helping you learn best practices and improve your coding skills over time.
- Compatibility: GitHub Copilot works with a variety of code editors, including Neovim, JetBrains IDEs, Visual Studio, and Visual Studio Code, making it accessible for students using different platforms.
- Free access for students: Verified students can access GitHub Copilot for free, making it an affordable tool for enhancing their coding skills during their academic journey.
Looking to know if Github Copilot is free? Get to know the truth in our extensive blog.
How to get Github Copilot for students: A guide
Take a look at the detailed steps on how to get Guthub Copilot for students:
Step 1: Setting up your GitHub account
Before you can access GitHub Copilot, you’ll need to set up a GitHub account. Here’s how:
- Go to GitHub’s website and click on the “Sign up” button in the top right-hand corner.
- Fill in your desired username, email address, and password, then click “Create account.”
- Complete the setup process by choosing a plan (you can select the free plan) and answering a few questions about your coding experience.
Once you’ve created your GitHub account, you’re ready to verify your student status and gain access to the GitHub Copilot.
Step 2: Verifying your student status on GitHub
To qualify for free access to GitHub Copilot, you’ll need to verify your student status with the GitHub Student Developer Pack. Follow these steps:
- Visit the GitHub Student Developer Pack page and click the “Get your pack” button.
- Begin with signing in to your GitHub account.
- You’ll be prompted to add your school email address. This email will be used to verify your student status. If you don’t have a school email, you can still apply by contacting GitHub Support.
- Enter your school’s name and answer a few questions about how you plan to use GitHub.
- If required, provide additional proof of enrollment, such as a school ID or other valid documentation.
- Submit your application and wait for the approval. The review process typically takes a few hours to a day but may take longer depending on the volume of applications.
Step 3: Activating GitHub Copilot for students
Once your student status is verified and you have access to the GitHub Student Developer Pack, follow these steps to activate GitHub Copilot:
- Go to the GitHub Copilot website and log in with your GitHub account.
- Navigate to the “Settings” section and connect your GitHub account to Copilot.
- If prompted, grant the necessary permissions for Copilot to access your GitHub account.
Now you’re ready to install the GitHub Copilot extension on your preferred code editor.
If you’re a student who struggles with research, we’ve got you! Check out the most advanced research AI tools to help you with your R&D.
Installing GitHub Copilot on Neovim
To install GitHub Copilot on Neovim, follow these steps:
- Open Neovim and ensure you have the vim-plug plugin manager installed.
- Add the following line to your init.vim configuration file, under the “Plugins” section: Plug ‘https://github.com/ms-jpq/nvim-copilot’
- Save and exit the configuration file.
- Restart Neovim and run the command: PlugInstall to install the vim-copilot plugin.
- Press Ctrl+Space while coding to activate GitHub Copilot and receive suggestions.
Installing GitHub Copilot on JetBrains IDEs
To install GitHub Copilot on JetBrains IDEs such as IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, or WebStorm, follow these steps:
- Open your JetBrains IDE and go to “Settings” or “Preferences.”
- Navigate to the “Plugins” section and search for “GitHub Copilot.”
- Click the “Install” button and wait for the installation to complete.
- Restart your IDE.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+P (Windows/Linux) or Cmd+Shift+P (macOS) while coding to activate GitHub Copilot and receive suggestions.
Check out everything you need to know about Github Copilot X’s release date in our detailed blog.
Installing GitHub Copilot on Visual Studio
To install GitHub Copilot on Visual Studio, follow these steps:
- Open Visual Studio and click on “Extensions”. Following this, go to “Manage Extensions.”
- On the search bar, type “GitHub Copilot.”
- Click the “Download” button and wait for the installation to complete.
- Restart Visual Studio.
- Press Ctrl+. or Ctrl+Shift+Space while coding to activate GitHub Copilot and receive suggestions.
Installing GitHub Copilot on Visual Studio code
To install GitHub Copilot on Visual Studio Code, follow these steps:
- Open Visual Studio Code and click on the “Extensions” icon in the sidebar.
- Search for “GitHub Copilot” in the search bar.
- Click the “Install” button, following which the installation will commence and may take a few minutes.
- Restart Visual Studio Code if necessary.
- Type code in your editor and watch as GitHub Copilot suggests code snippets.
GitHub Copilot is a powerful tool that can help students improve their coding skills and complete projects more efficiently. You can install GitHub Copilot on your preferred code editor and access it for free as a verified student by following the instructions provided in this detailed guide.
With GitHub Copilot at your fingertips, you’ll be able to code faster, learn best practices, and take your coding skills to new heights. So, get started today and see the difference GitHub Copilot can make in your academic journey!