Connect with us
Active Currencies 14904
Market Cap $2,575,860,128,465.80
Bitcoin Share 51.67%
24h Market Cap Change $0.58

Gemini’s $1.1 billion settlement – A ‘win’ for Earn users?

2min Read

Gemini has reached a $1.1 billion settlement ‘in kind’ with Genesis following the turbulent Bankruptcy. What lies ahead for Earn users?

Gemini

Share this article

  • Gemini reached a settlement to return $1.1 billion in digital assets to Earn users.
  • The settlement aims to restore investor confidence and promote larger institutional crypto adoption.

In a significant turn of events, the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) announced in a press release that Gemini had finally come to a settlement in principle with Genesis and other creditors. 

They have assured that Earn users will receive “100% of their digital assets back in kind”, which amounts to $1.1 billion.

History of the Genesis Bankruptcy

Introduced in early 2021, the Earn program by Gemini allowed its users to lend their cryptocurrencies to Genesis Global Capital, LLC (GGC), an entity outside the regulatory purview of the Department, which then lent these assets further. 

Despite assurances from Gemini about due diligence, GGC’s oversight was insufficient. GGC’s default on loans around November 2022, followed by bankruptcy, highlighted Gemini’s oversight lapses and inadequate reserves. This left over 200,000 users, including nearly 30,000 New Yorkers, unable to access their funds.

Details of the recent settlement

Apart from returning $1.1 billion to all the Earn users, Gemini has also been penalized by the DFS.

The DFS asked Gemini to create a reimbursement plan that includes Gemini’s direct contribution of $40 million towards the bankruptcy estate, benefiting Earn customers. Alongside, Gemini has to pay a substantial $37 million fine to DFS due to notable compliance lapses. 

The settlement underscores Gemini’s responsibility to ensure complete restitution for Earn customers, with DFS retaining the authority to enforce further action if Gemini fails to fulfill its restitution commitment post the bankruptcy resolution.

In a press release, Superintendent Adrienne A. Harris commented,

“Gemini failed to conduct due diligence on an unregulated third party, later accused of massive fraud, harming Earn customers who were suddenly unable to access their assets after Genesis Global Capital experienced a financial meltdown”

A win for Earn users

Gemini announced that Earn users will receive 97% of their assets in kind within the next two months. The remaining 3% of their assets will be delivered to them periodically within the next 12 months

On this account, Superintendent Harris commented,

“Today’s settlement is a win for Earn customers, who have a right to the assets they entrusted to Gemini.”

Users have mixed reactions to the settlement announcement, with some viewing it as a positive step towards compensation for the losses incurred due to the suspension of the Earn program. 

What does it mean for the crypto industry?

The Gemini-Genesis bankruptcy saga has undeniably impacted investor confidence, contributing to hesitancy among potential investors.

However, with Bitcoin’s price recently going above the $60K mark and signs of larger institutional adoption of cryptocurrencies, the question of whether it is time to invest in crypto again is pertinent. 

The settlement is a step towards restoring trust in the crypto market, suggesting that, despite past upheavals, the sector’s resilience and potential for recovery might entice investors once more.

Share

Prakriti is a Content Writer at AMBCrypto. She describes herself as a passionately creative individual, with a dash of strategic prowess. With over 3.5 years of experience in the field of content writing and marketing, she is dedicated to churning out top-notch content in domains like Crypto, Web 3.0, AI and contributing to quench the thirst for technical knowledge of her readers.
Read the best crypto stories of the day in less than 5 minutes
Subscribe to get it daily in your inbox.
Please check the format of your first name and/or email address.

Thank you for subscribing to Unhashed.